The North Market Harvest Festival
The North Market Harvest Festival is one of the culminating events of Local Matters Local Foods Week (link here http://eatlocalohio.org/localfoodsweek/ ) on Saturday, October 8. In addition to our usual extravaganza of harvest produce, baking contests, live music and kids’ activities, as part of their Local Foods Week celebration, Local Matters will do cooking demonstrations in a tent on the farmers’ market plaza.
This festival is a fun one for the kiddies with a plethora of activities and entertainment. Mark Wood will be twisting balloon animals and executing fancy rope tricks. Rita Miller will be on hand for fanciful full face painting. There will be give-aways of cookies and the Columbus Artmobile will offer harvest-inspired craft projects for the kiddies.
Jeni Britton-Bauer will host an ice cream making demonstration in the Dispatch Kitchen at the North Market from 12 – 2 p.m. Jeni will be discussing techniques and recipes from her recently published book, Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams at Home link here: http://www.amazon.com/Jenis-Splendid-Ice-Creams-Home/dp/1579654363). Registration for this limited attendance affair is $10 and available online here⇒ (link to http://www.northmarket.com/buy-stuff). A free book signing will take place in the Dispatch Kitchen following the demonstration at 2 p.m.
Enterprising customers have a couple of opportunities to take home a prize in our Harvest Festival baking contests. In the pumpkin and apple pie contests, entrants are invited to submit their favorite recipe for judging. Each pie competition winner will receive $100 in North Market gift certificates. Second place will receive $50 in North Market gift certificates. Participation is limited to 12 entries per contest. To register or for more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Scheduled Harvest Festival activities include:
• Farmers’ Market and North Market merchants open at 8 a.m.
• Market to Market breakfast in the Dispatch Kitchen, 8 – 10 a.m.
• Cooking demonstrations at the Local Matters tent, 9 – 11 a.m.
• Live music by Joey Hebdo, 9 – 11 a.m.
• Face painting, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
• Free pumpkin cookies for the kids, courtesy of Mozart’s Bakery, 10 a.m. while supply lasts.
• Mark Wood Cowboy Fun Show, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
• Autumn crafts with the Columbus Artmobile, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
• Live music by Gipson and Fitz Trio, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
• Ice Cream making demonstration and book signing with Jeni Britton-Bauer in the Dispatch Kitchen, 12 – 3 p.m., registration fee of $10 required.
• Pumpkin Pie contest, 1 p.m.
• Live music by Cowboy Hillbilly Hippy Folk, 1 – 3 p.m.
• Apple pie contest, 2 p.m.
• Live music by Folkwood Players, 3-5 p.m.
The North Market Harvest Festival begins at 8 a.m. and is a free event. For more information or to sign-up for any of the contests, please call the North Market at (614) 463-9664 or visit www.northmarket.com.