Harrison West Neighbors
Battelle is an international science and technology enterprise that explores emerging areas of science, develops and commercializes technology and manages laboratories for customers. Battelle supports community and education programs to promote an enhanced quality of life for our community neighbors. We’re committed to making the world a better place through our work with government, industry and community in the key areas of: Energy, Health & Life Sciences, National Security, Laboratory Management and Education.
Settled in 1800, Clinton Township began its history in Ohio mainly as farmland. What is now the University View area on the township’s west side was home to the Sells Brothers Circus. And on the township’s east side, what is presently known as Cleveland Avenue was called Harbor Street. From the 1950s through the early 1970s annexation played a major part in the downsizing of several townships, including Clinton. Nevertheless Clinton Township is still home to many residents and businesses.
Columbus is the capital, the largest and the most populated city of the U.S. state of Ohio. Located near the geographic center of the state, Columbus is the county seat of Franklin County, although parts of the city also extend into Delaware and Fairfield counties. Named for explorer Christopher Columbus, the city was founded in 1812 at the confluence of the Scioto and Olentangy rivers and assumed the functions of state capital in 1816. The city has a diverse economy based on education, insurance, government, healthcare, retail and technology. Acknowledged by Money Magazine in 2006 as the eighth-best large city in the United States to inhabit, it is also recognized as an emerging global city. [Adapted from Wikipedia.]
Columbus has a long history of strong, active neighborhood associations such as those in German Village, Victorian Village, Italian Village, the Brewery District and others. The establishment of an association for downtown residents will provide the impetus for both existing and new residents to take advantage of their collective influence in determining what happens in their neighborhood. This will encourage a sense of community in the downtown, which currently consists of numerous different development and resident associations segmented by relatively small boundaries. The Downtown Residents’ Association of Columbus (DRAC) will encompass all of the downtown area. Its boundaries are I-670 to the north, I-70 to the south, I-71 to the east and the Scioto River to the west.
The Fifth by Northwest Area Commission represents an area located just northwest of downtown. We’re west of the Ohio State University campus, south of Upper Arlington and north of Grandview Heights. A rough description of our boundaries: north: Kinnear Road, south: Alley south of Third Avenue, west: Wyandotte Road,
east: Olentangy River Road.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2007 estimates, the population of Franklin County, Ohio has grown to 1,118,107, which makes it the second largest county in Ohio (after Cuyahoga County) and the 34th largest county in population in the United States. The county was established on April 30, 1803, less than two months after Ohio became a state, and was named after Benjamin Franklin. Franklin County originally extended all the way north to Lake Erie before Ohio subdivided further into more counties.The county has diverse levels of development ranging from the urban core of Columbus to the quite rural southern and western portions of the county. The far southwest, near Harrisburg, offers little to no indication of a city of more than 730,000 people less than 20 minutes away. [Adapted from Wikipedia.]
Franklinton is the oldest community in central Ohio. It has weathered many storms: devastating floods, urban divestment, aging housing stock and infrastructure. However, with a new floodwall and tax abatement in place, there is a new energy. With the city in the lead, more and more great partners are seeing the potential of recapturing yet another great neighborhood in downtown Columbus.
German Village, Columbus’s premiere downtown neighborhood, is one of the pre-eminent historic districts in the United States. German Village is 233 acres of “living” history where the old meets the new, and the result is a vibrant and charming community.
In 1901, the entire area between the Scioto and Olentangy rivers, and roughly King Avenue, became united as the hamlet of Marble Cliff for the first and last time. In 1902, Marble Cliff detached all but its present area from what was to become, in 1906, a separate village called Grandview Heights. The latter included both sides of Lincoln Road (then Paul Avenue). The northern boundary went east on a line with Third Avenue to the center of Glenn Avenue. It turned south and ran east along the north edge of the lot lines of houses facing West First Avenue to Fairview Avenue. It included the future Edison School and the Harding School tracts going south to the center line of Broadview Avenue at First Avenue, then east to the center line of Grandview Avenue, and hence south to a distance just below the railroad tracks, returning west to the Marble Cliff corporation line.
Italian Village is a historic district located in the near north side of Columbus adjacent to the central business district. The area is bounded by I-670 on the south, Fifth Avenue on the north, North High Street on the west and the Conrail railroad tracks to the east. The Italian Village area was one of Columbus’s first suburbs, annexed to the city of Columbus in 1862.
Ohio is a Midwestern state of the United States.As part of the Great Lakes region, Ohio has long been a cultural and geographical crossroads in North America. Ohio has the highest population density of any state outside of the Eastern Seaboard, and it is the seventh-largest U.S. state according to population. Ohio was the first state admitted to the Union under the Northwest Ordinance. [Adapted from Wikipedia]
Ohio State’s roots go back to 1870, when the Ohio General Assembly established the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College. The new college was made possible through the provisions of the Land-Grant Act signed by President Lincoln on July 2, 1862. This legislation revolutionized the nation’s approach to higher education, bringing a college degree within reach of all high-school graduates.
The purposes of the Olde Towne East Neighborhood Association are to affiliate the residents, businesses and property owners of the Olde Towne East and to provide for them the means of establishing themselves in an association for their mutual good and prosperity; to encourage civic pride and to encourage civic improvement; to promote the theory and practice of the principles of good government, good business and good citizenship; to promote and aid in the general improvement of homes, business establishments, parks and recreation centers in the area; and generally to do and exercise all powers necessary, suitable or proper for the accomplishment of these objectives or which appear conducive or expedient to carry out said purposes and to foster the commercial, educational, social, physical and moral development of the community.
Welcome to the nationally acclaimed Short North Arts District. Bohemian, Entrepreneurial, What’s Now and What’s Next. The culturally rich Short North is pioneering urban revitalization. Over the years, the arts district has carved its commercial niche in five key categories: arts, dining/nightlife, fashion, home décor and unique gifts. Whether the subject of the New York Times’ “Columbus Cool?” or National Geographic Traveler’s “Neighborhood Watch,” the Short North generates a national buzz for Columbus. Its 100+ experiential destinations, organic origins, artistic bent and enviable location combine to create a dynamic allure. The Short North is an economic engine.
The city of Upper Arlington was incorporated in 1918 and has grown into a primarily residential community of approximately 34,000 residents covering 9.67 square miles. The city enjoys a convenient location as a first-ring suburb of Central Ohio with easy access to downtown Columbus, the Columbus airport and major highways. Upper Arlington residents take pride in their community, and many are actively involved in numerous organizations, volunteer boards and commissions of the city government, cultural and recreational activities and more.
The University Area Commission was established by Columbus City Council in 1972 in accordance with Chapter 3313 of the Columbus City Zoning Code, Area Commissions: Procedure for Establishment. The University Area Commission is bounded on the north by the centerline of Glen Echo Ravine, on the east by the centerline of the railroad right-of-way immediately east of Indianola Avenue, on south by the centerline of Fifth Avenue and on the west by the Olentangy River, with each line extended as necessary so as to intersect with adjacent boundaries.
Revitalization of what is now the Victorian Village area was sparked in the 1960s and 1970s. The city of Columbus officially recognized “Victorian Village” and declared it a historic district during that time. Low interest loans for renovation became available through “urban renewal” programs. The Victorian Village Architectural Review Commission was established in 1974 for the protection and preservation of many architectural treasures. Because of the commission, the district appears today much as it did during its peak years and survives as an excellent example of a nineteenth-century neighborhood. Thanks to the hard work of many historical preservation pioneers, the current Victorian Village is again an attractive, livable and affordable urban area.
Weinland Park is a neighborhood in the southeastern part of the University District. The community is made up primarily of single-family homes and duplexes constructed in the 1930s and 1940s. The neighborhood is bounded by North High Street on the west, Grant Street on the east, East Fifth Avenue on the south and 11th Avenue on the north. The neighborhood is home to one of the largest areas of green space in the district—Weinland Park—and the adjacent Weinland Park Elementary School. The Northside branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library is in easy walking distance. The community offers affordable housing to rent and buy.