Resident Profile – Annie Marsico
My full name is Anne Elizabeth Marsico. My middle name is the same middle name of my mother and great-grandmother. I was supposed to be Elizabeth Anne, but I have two very opinionated older sisters. Annie the 1982 movie-musical had just come out, and my sisters really wanted to call me Annie. Luckily, for me, my parents acquiesced. When I was little they used to sing to me songs from the musical. Only my grandmothers are allowed to call me Anne.
2. How old are you?
I am 31.
3. Where do you live in Harrison West? Do you own your house or rent?
We own our place on Michigan Ave.
4. If you own your house have you done any significant renovations to it? Please describe.
Nothing too significant. We added shelving to our bedroom closet and had a platform created for my washer and dryer. We hope to re-do the yard this spring.
5. How long have you lived in Harrison West?
Since July 2012
6. What brought you here (HW) and where did you live before?
I wanted to be close to downtown and within walking distance to one of the City’s greenway trails and parks. I work for the City, so staying in the City was important to me. Additionally, I wanted an older home with character. I found all of that in Harrison West.
7. Where were you born and where did you grow up?
I was born in Youngstown, OH and grew-up in one of its suburbs – Canfield, OH.
8. How did you end up in Columbus if you are not from here?
My mom grew up in Columbus. All of her family is here. My dad’s brother is here, and one of my sister’s is here with her family. It seemed like the natural choice after college.
9. Did you go to college? If so, where and what did you study?
I went to Ohio University, where I studied history. I also received my law degree from Capital University Law School.
10. What do you do for a living? How did you end up in that occupation?
I am Columbus City Councilmember Michelle Mills’ Legislative Analyst. As Chair of Public Safety, Councilmember Mills covers Police, Fire, and Support Services. Lately, I’ve been focusing on policy and legislation for food trucks, taxis and ride-share programs. My grandfather worked for the City for over 30 years. I wanted to follow in his footsteps.
11. What do you like to do for fun?
I like movies, eating and drinking with friends, hanging out with my family, going hiking and being outdoors, traveling and history.
12. Do you live with a partner/spouse/kids? Tell us a little about them too!
I live with my boyfriend, John Oswalt. We were both history majors, obsessed with campaigns and politics, so we work really well together.
13. Do you have any pets? If so what are they and what are their names?
We have a beagle/foxhound mix named Satchel. We got him from the Franklin County Animal Shelter this spring. I have more photos of him sleeping than I care to admit.
14. What do you like about living in Harrison West?
I love living in a vibrant, active community. People are always running or walking their dogs or biking by our front steps. I love that I can walk to the Short North, but I don’t have to deal with its traffic and noise. I love that we have several small parks within walking distance. I love that I can grab brunch around the corner or walk for a drink after work.
15. What are your favorite places to go out? Do you frequent any of the neighborhood businesses?
I can’t live without Katalina’s Café Corner’s spicy bacon. I’m also a big fan of the casual atmosphere at Zeno’s.