Old House DIY Workshops – Fall 2013
Living in Harrison West or Victorian Village, chances are you own or rent and old home. The neighborhoods are filled with beautiful old and historic homes, but sometimes those homes need a little TLC. The Columbus Landmarks foundation hosts several Old House DIY workshops, and this fall they have a few you may be interested in to help beautify and repair your homes.
Masonry Repointing Workshop
Saturday, September 14th, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., 100 Jefferson Avenue
- At this hands-on workshop, conducted by Matt Wolf of Centennial Preservation Group, learn how to:
- choose the appropriate mortar materials
- prepare brickwork to be re-pointed
- mix, install, and cure mortar to properly re-point the old brick, stone, ceramic block, or concrete block of your house
Workshop fee is $10.00
Wood Repair Workshop
Saturday, October 26th, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., 435 W. State Street
At this hands-on workshop, conducted by the Ohio Historic Preservation Office, learn how to:
- stabilize rotted wood,
- use wood consolidants and epoxies, and
- prepare repaired wood for painting
Investigating and Troubleshooting Sessions
Saturday, September 28th, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., YMCA, 130 Woodland Ave.
When’s the last time you looked at your house? Really looked at it?
The Investigating and Troubleshooting workshop provides inspection tips for examining the roof, drainage system, masonry components, and wood components. Important safety issues, such as lead paint, will also be discussed. Whether you plan to make repairs yourself or hire a contractor, you’ll gain knowledge of old house materials and be better prepared to care for your home for years to come. Workshop fee is $5.00
FOR DETAILS OR TO REGISTER FOR WORKSHOPS, CALL 614-221-4508 OR VISIT www.columbuslandmarks.org.